Sunday, March 30, 2008

A Portrait Based on the Data: A Difference Portrait

This portrait uses the Google Custom Search Engine which runs based on my Del.icio.us lists with less than ten other people who have the same URL in their lists.


1. The Bookmarks with the Sharers
I tried to be as objective as possible about portraying myself with the data. So, I started with looking at del.icio.us bookmarks, which is the data that I can easily compare with others and I can get the objective perspective about myself.
Bookmarks reveal one’s interest. In each bookmark item in del.icio.us, the number of people sharing the same bookmark is seen.


The bookmark which is saved by many people can be of the high popularity and the universal sympathy. On the other hand, the rare bookmarks can reflect unique personality of its sharer.
Among the bookmarks I have in my del.icio.us, the bookmarks with less number of bookmark sharer can reveal the difference(as opposed to the similarity) of my interest comparing to the public which would make my personality salient.


2. Fifty One Bookmarks with Little Sharers
I decided to select the bookmarks with less than ten bookmark sharers from my del.icio.us page to induce the difference of my interest. There were 51 bookmarks among total 137 bookmarks since 2005. Following is the titles of the 51 bookmarks, and it can give some sense about what I have been interested in and how I am like.

Scientists image vivid ‘brainbows’
Magnetorheological fluid
YouTube - Digital Water Pavilion
hi-shutterbug!
Darfur: a letter from Europe's leading writers - Independent Online Edition > Commentators
International Paper - Characteristics
Home : Lindenmeyr | A Central National-Gottesman, Inc. Company
Paper Making Process: Virtual Tour
Voith AG
Christopher Alexander | Project for Public Spaces (PPS)
Flash Research
Amazon Online Reader : You Are Here
"50 Things"
Typotheque: How Good is Good? by Stefan Sagmeister
Little Pastry Shop - Maison Bertaux on Flickr - Photo Sharing!
croque monsieur on Flickr - Photo Sharing!
ICA_london on Flickr - Photo Sharing!
watch/talk/drink/eat on Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Central Point from Southampton Row on Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Westferry Road/Lockesfield Place E14 (west) on Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Footprint - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Nerd's Life - Touchless Interactive Window - LM3Labs Ubiq'window
Superior Picnic Baskets From Blue Ribbon Bakery, Sapa, and Bouchon Bakery -- New York Magazine
Antony Worrall Thompson :: AWT Club :: AWT Online :: AWT Shop
Search The Modern Word: Query Results
Cascando by Samuel Beckett: Division 13 Productions: Joanna Settle, Artistic Director: Katie Taber, Managing Director; Anne DeAcetis, Development Director
Fernando Pessoa
Disquiet: Pessoa's Trunk
Guardian Unlimited Arts | Arts features | Where have you been all my life?
리더십의 근본
태우’s log - web 2.0 and beyond » Blog Archive » 더 많은 것은 좋은 것, 아니면 나쁜 것?
Everything you ever wanted to know about David Walliams
D'or Ahn - Chelsea - New York Magazine Restaurant Guide
First things first 2000 Manifesto - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
First things first 1964 Manifesto - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Design Council | Business
eye | feature | reputation | Graphic Thought Facility
Digital SSALLZIP
Kerr Noble / The European Design Show: Graphic Designers - Design/Designer Information
The centralised road to mediocrity
누가 국민인가
구글이나 엠파스가 성공하는 가장 좋은 방법
구글이 한국에서 성공할 수 없는 이유
Do You MySpace? - New York Times
퀵타임라이브방송공작단 Ver 2.0
About Digitile Ltd
MakeZine.com: Volume 02: Home Entertainment
welcome to the wurst
Interview with Rick Kim of Cyworld (Weekly Broadcast)
Funny animated GIF of Marc Canter hailing a cab
No Social Networking Site Is an Island
An empty language for empty-headed executives



3. The Interactive Data Portrait Which Reveals the Difference of the Interest
However, the information that the title can provide is very limited. The topic and area of interest is reflected in the actual contents of the site the bookmark refers, scarcely in the title. So, I put these data into Google Custom Search Engine to make it possible for the audience to ask and estimate the interest of mine. This customized search engine becomes the interactive portrait which reveals the difference about my interest.
Please feel free to visit and query things here, and let me know how your impression is. Sohin's Difference Portrait


4. Test
I tried some generic keywords and saw what would come out. Since the pool is small, many keywords do not have the results. Here are some interesting results. When I query ‘dog,’ no result appears. I actually like dogs, although I don’t live with a dog now. I may not be interested in dogs as much as I though I would be.

When the keyword ‘designer’ is put, ten results come out which are mostly from the same website.

And ‘David’ makes seven results and four of them refers the same David who is one of my favorite comedian.

No comments: