Monday, March 10, 2008

procrastinator's diary: a personal time-line project

Last Saturday, I spent around six hours outside home between 12:15 and 6:15pm. As I try to track down the changes of locations, people I met, tasks on that afternoon, I realized that there are big differences between what I planned and what I did. The differences could be classified into five categories: planned and didn’t do / planned and deferred / planned and did on time / planned and advanced / unplanned and did. I modified the Google calendar's visual scheme because this is the way I conceive and plan about the time these days.

So I compared the plans and the actual actions in a form of linear table. The left column is what I originally planned, and the right column is what I actually did. During the six hours of going out, which started right after I put some documentary films in the downloading queue(which was not originally planned as well), I hardly did what I planned except 30 minutes of visiting the chiropractor.
*The plan and action on Saturday afternoon of 03/08/2008.

I found that what I did instead of what I planned did not occur completely all of a sudden. In most cases, the things I did were supposed to be done earlier or later. So I extended the timeline to see where they come from. It can be seen that the coffee at Simon’s and the sneaker shopping are supposed to be done earlier in the morning, and I had dinner much earlier than I planned. Instead, Cleaning, which was not scheduled, was done when the dinner was expected. On the other hand, the tasks I am supposed to do in the afternoon are all delayed. What I didn’t do among the schedules was writing the essay01, and it was not written at all until the next day.

The essay01, which I planned to finish by 6pm on Saturday, has been finished around 8:30pm on Sunday, after many delays and unexpected events occurred. Following is the full extension of timeline which includes both where the tasks I planned but didn't do are going and where the tasks I didn't plan but did are coming from. This relative timeline is extended to the duration between 9am on Saturday and 8:30pm on Sunday. And during the course of time, other than between 12pm, and 6pm on Saturday, there are also other things which were done/delayed/cancelled etc.

The text on the left side is the objective time and date, while the right side is the subjective time defined by when the task is supposed to happen. The texts on the right shows the time and date I am living at, according to my plan. There is a huge gap and mixed-up between the time I assume and I live. The time I live is subject and mixed up, and it is subject both in a sense of its length and order.

No comments: